Friday, December 2, 2011

To the random customer tonight: You may have changed my life

I knocked a stack of cups over and clumsily said, “Oh, it has been a long day.”

“Has it?” he said, not in a polite oh-I-should-respond way, but in a caring and thoughtful way. The same way a mother would become immediately worried at the sight of her sick child and ask, “Let me feel your forehead, honey. Are you feverish?”

It wasn’t a fever that was plaguing me, but I still felt his words reach out to my forehead, just to check.
“I’ve been here since 6, and I had a full day of class starting at 8 am,” I said with a smile.
“Wow, I couldn’t do that!” He said and his eyes lit up. I could see his college days burst through the expression on his face, and I knew he had once been a working student too. “You are doing a great job.”

“Thank you,” I said and beamed. It always means a lot when one of the petty adults that demands me to serve them food realizes that I have a lot more on my plate than they do on their 15 inch metal Smashburger tray.

He looked at me again, and as if he heard my heart screaming out, he consoled it.
“Just remember to be patient with yourself. Life isn’t just here,” he pointed to his left, “and here,” and pointed to his right. “It’s here,” and he made mountains and valleys and swirled his hand in every which direction. “Don’t forget there’s a lot of living going on around you. Patience. Forgiveness. And don’t be too hard on yourself,” he said.

“It’s all right there baby,” he said and pointed to his heart. “I’m so proud of you.”

There was so many things I wanted to say. I wanted to ask how he knew.. How he knew exactly what to say to lift a burden that rested on my soul. I wanted to ask, who sent you? Did God himself whisper in your ear? Did you get some kind of email from my guardian angel, setting up this meeting? Or was it simply just fate?

The only words I could muster up out of my awakened soul were a slow and metered, “Thank you, thank you so much,” but I know he could see every word I wanted to say in my expression. The lines on my face were shouting, “I’m grateful for your words!” The wetness in my eyes was nodding its head graciously and my smile was exclaiming, “You have no idea what your words mean to me!”
No matter what it was, fate, a sign, or an angel looking out for me, sir, my heart is a little less broken and I have your kind words to thank.

No comments:

Post a Comment